The Path

June 12, 2020

There has been yet another shift in the progression of Jim's cancer and it isn't very pretty. Cancer seems to eat away at one's body and strip away one's physical abilities until the only thing remaining is one's basic humanity. We're there, the place where the hospice nurse says folks eat in "bits and fits", where walking is near to impossible, deep fatigue consumes most of the day, and taking a breath is an act of strength. But Jim is still engaged with family or friends that come to call during select times of the day.  

My day is spent taking care of the home, the yard, the animals, communicating to those who love him, and of course taking care of his needs and being with him. There is next to no time to care for myself and I've dropped everything that has kept me stable throughout. I have, however, discovered that during the times that we just be, I can color in this old coloring book with old fashioned drawings of flowers and it stills my heart. It is such a weird time, a time of separation, goodbyes, last moments, tender words and togetherness.
I texted to a friend 
"I’m kind of like this weird mess of anxiety and concern for Jim stuck in a purgatory that I don’t want to end. Luckily Ezra the social worker is coming for a visit today & Tegan is bringing dinner tonight so I’ll be able to shake these emotions."

Wandering my gardens in the early morning before he rises, or tending it in the afternoon as he sleeps, and watering it in the evening, the air scented by flowers, bird songs enveloping me, and the light and form dancing around me, brings calm. It may seem silly to plant vegetables we will not eat together, or tend flowers he can not walk through but somehow, these acts are my tiny prayers, my everlasting hope. When Jim sleeps on the back deck, he takes it all in and watches the birds and butterflies fly about him, the waterfall and fountains singing merrily and catching the gathering of the light. It brings him peace too.

I struggle with what my life will be like afterward and what lies next for Jim. I've landed on the fact that I know there is God. Therefore if there is God, those S/He loves also have an eternity before us. For what parent willing ends such beautiful lives? Of course, I am also selfish and wish to join Jim but my faith does not extend to the point of knowing what "next" really is, but I am hoping. And then perhaps faith is not a knowing kind of thing. I pray constantly these days. Those I call on most frequently to bring me strength and patience, to bring Jim a peaceful, pain free, love filled passing are our parents and grandparents. That in itself must be a form of faith—they are there, somewhere, having our backs. I pray that they can give me what they gave us in life—support along our paths, their wisdom of having done it so beautifully.

Comments

  1. I know Jim's twinkling eyes and radiant smile will make better the next place he resides. I know you will carry all of that with you always. Peace. Love. Care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ann, your words are filled with honesty, tenderness, faith, fear, and love. What raw, human emotions. All I know to do during this time is to pray for you. And for Jim. That God will be so near. You are strong and resilient, and when we are weak, God is our rock. Yesterday, today, and forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, I am moved and am in awe of how you are handling all of this and of your demonstrations of love for Jim.
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my late husband was in this 90’s, he was not sick but he was nearing death.
    One day after working in the garden while Berl seemed to be sleeping on the porch, he said to me: “Thank you Jo for continuing to live. It gives me great comfort to watch you doing the things you do, the things that enrich your life. I know you will be okay.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my late husband was in this 90’s, he was not sick but he was nearing death.
    One day after working in the garden while Berl seemed to be sleeping on the porch, he said to me: “Thank you Jo for continuing to live. It gives me great comfort to watch you doing the things you do, the things that enrich your life. I know you will be okay.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so wish for your continued peace during this transition. Your words are lovely and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann, this is sacred time. You accompany him and I trust he will accompany you, always. As you know, this journey is a mystery. And you are strong even ravaged with sorrow or dread. You are present and full of beauty. Much love, Verandah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you Ann, feeling for you and your love. May love surround you and hold you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are on my mind, in my heart. May the love of the universe surround you and your love-- support and comfort you. Thinking of you with love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann and Jim, I do wish that pie could truly make everything better, and perhaps that hope is why some divine spirit helped us deliver that small gift on Sunday. Seeing you both smiling oon the back porch with the bull frog calling in the distance is a vision we treasure. Love and hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann, this is so, so beautiful and I am utterly heartbroken for you. How I wish I could be with you to take care of you right now. It sounds like you are doing everything you need to do. May Jim transition peacefully and in the company of his loved ones who went before him. I believe he will always remain with you in spirit as your love has been a true love. Deep breaths.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Ann, just learning about your and Jim’s journey now. My heart aches for you but the blessing is that you two are together. It’s your turn now. Mine (or Dave’s) will come all too soon. I’m praying for Jim and you and sending you a very big hug. Love, Giovanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. No words can change today, but may fond memories carry you through. Jim reached in and blessed your life, and we were all treated to his friendship and smiles. He will never be forgotten. Sending love and warm thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts