Tributes to Jim

It is hard to describe how much the pain of losing Jim has been these last few days. The realization day after day that he will not return no matter how hard I try. But what has been so beautiful, so inspiring, and provided ground underneath are amazing photos and tributes being posted to Jim on social media. In this time when physical hugs are not at the ready for the heartbroken, these have filled may soul and brought him back to me.

From Mollie Coons:
This has been a real tough one to write.
It's not very often that you meet people who become pillars of your foundation of self. People who inspire you to explore your own depth and experience but to also see the depth in others. People who give you a blueprint for life by showing you that you truly CAN do anything you put your mind to...from creating musical instruments, to collegiate programs and video games that have an incredible impact on the world....anything. People who value questioning, iteration, exploration - people who never give up.
These are my friends Ann DeMarle and Jim Reda.
You both have been a hugely positive force in my life from the day I met you in 2001, frustrated with the layer structure in Photoshop CS2. (We've all been friends for THAT long...8 iterations of the Creative Suite later...) The conversation quickly turned to springer spaniels when I saw the photo of Louie and Maisey on Ann's desk. I think that's the day we all became lifelong friends - we're spaniel people, that's just how we are.
I really got to know Jim a few years after when I was an RA for the The Governors Institute of Technology Information Tech. I think back to that summer and the smell of coffee lingers against nonstop laughter.
Coffee and nonstop laughter are two things I will remember about Jim forever. There was always a large dunkin doughnuts coffee, and a never ending stream of jokes about the metric system. Viva la Metrique!
So many pivotal moments of good in my life are because of these two beautiful human beings and the people they have aligned themselves with.
Design - mentorship in creative management at the EMC - Sarah Jerger's support and always having the answers to my questions - Raymond McCarthy Bergeron's tough love and excellent coaching through long nights of storyboarding and animation - things that have forged my creative career and continue to do so.
Music - drinking wine and playing jazz standards in the living room...I think we even got Ann to sing a few times!
Dogs - Miss Rockett - she's a perfect extension of you both, that little dog has taught me so much about unconditional love. She has brought me so much joy, and I have you both to thank for that.
I am so very, very lucky to have known you, Jim, and I wish you the well wherever you are...I just hope for your sake they have coffee!
"Even yet
So those who hear won't forget
And the ever-present sound
That abounds in his praise
Echos throughout the universe"
- I remember Clifford -

From Lauren Nishikawa:
It has taken me a few days to collect my thoughts—but I found myself uncharacteristically sleepless last night, held captive in reflection until I wrote down these words.
The passing of a person you admire brings such varied emotions. I would have liked to know Jim Reda better, and I do regret that the opportunity no longer exists. But I will forever carry my memory of him as the most brilliant man I’ve met, in every sense of the word. I have not known another person to be so wickedly intelligent, infectiously passionate, or overwhelmingly kind. Jim was the definition of exuberance—in thinking of him, I cannot help hearing his laughter and seeing that mischievous twinkle in his eyes. The world has been made richer by his time spent among us, and I can only hope to make such a markedly positive impression in my own time here.
My thoughts are with Ann DeMarle and the rest of Jim’s family—may grief run its natural course, delivering you to a place of profound peace but also radiant joy, kindled by the fire of love and inspiration that Jim’s spirit has sparked and continues to light within every life he touched. 

From Dan DeMarle:

From Patti Kennedy DeMarle;
We will miss your silliness, sense of humor. and fun, your kindness, love, and patience, your ideas, creativity, and inspiration. We will miss you with all our hearts Jim Reda. I'm thankful for the wonderful memories our girls have of their silly Uncle Jim. Heart broken at your passing. Rest in Peace.

From Delfy de Damien:
Ann DeMarle there are no words of comfort but there is always a God who gives strength and we are sure that Jim Reda is in heaven we always remember them with love. Thank you for everything you taught us and that charisma you had, a very strong hug to you and a prayer to Jim in heaven. 

From Ian Flett:
This is going to be a hard one to write.
I often mention the time I spent associated with the Governors Institute of Vermont and the lessons i learned and the people I met. 14 years ago I started that journey at the fresh age of 17 years old, not yet knowing who or what I wanted to be. That is when I met Jim Reda. The man behind the camera with a smile. Jim had a infectious smile and a laugh that hinted a mischievous nature that would make me laugh from my core for many years. He taught me many things through the years, how to tinker, how to be a teacher, and how to be a friend. It didn't matter how long you had been away he was just as ready as he was the last time to hear where you had been. I won't forget the amount of times when the RA's would get together to figure out yearly pranks of other staff members and Jim would be right there conspiring with us for the perfect execution. He was truly someone to admire and look up too and I am blessed to have called him both teacher and friend. I wish i had gotten a chance to show you how far i've come since I was just a 17 year old boy showing up at the camp that would come to define the majority of my adult life and growth.
To Ann his wonderful wife and fellow mentor/teacher my heart grieves with and for you and your family. Jim was just simply spectacular. 

From Aaron Mullet:
I know many on my friends list know Ann, Ray, and Jim Reda. I don't have better words than to say I am so sad to know Jim has passed. What an amazing guy and role model. He truly helped form my positive attitude, starting when I met him as a nerdy teenager at summer tech camp. I think he had much more impact than he ever knew. I'm so sorry for Ann and all who knew him. Thanks for all the amazing photos, Jim. Thanks for the memories and for being someone to look up to. 

From Kristen Tripodi: 
The world has lost one of the best. But heaven has gained quite the entertainer.
I’ve been writing, rewriting and going over what I’ve wanted to say right now. But how do you put into words what you’ve meant to us? You are one of the most genuine, fun loving, kind hearted and witty people we’ve ever met. You were more then just a friend to Sean and I; you are and will forever be family. You and Ann opening up your home to a complete stranger was one of the kindest gestures anyone has ever afforded me. And in just 5 short weeks, you both became my family.
From eating pasta and hot dogs on the couch watching Monk, to fixing the bed frame when it broke (and spending most of the time laughing at our misfortune), to playing dominoes, and teaching me how to make a cup of your beloved Dunkin Donuts coffee: these are memories I’ll cherish always. You embodied what it means to be a brilliant human, but also a man of the people.
I hope you know how much you’re loved and how many lives you’ve forever changed for the better along the way. RIP Jim. We will miss your laughter but never forget your keen ability to make those around you laugh. We love you. ❤️

From Jaime-Lynn Gessner:
The world lost an amazing man yesterday. One of my favorite humans. Our special bond began when I was one of his oncology nurses, then we became friends, then like family. Jim was my hero, for so many reasons. He lit up the room when he entered; everyone immediately fell in love with him; he lived his entire life to the fullest. He was a storyteller, he was a teacher, he was a craftsman, he was kind, and funny with a heart of gold. He was a courageous fighter; never ever gave up on his fight against cancer. He would make the best of every day, every moment. Him & his beautiful wife, Ann DeMarle showed me that true love does exist. My life is better because of Jim Reda . He has taught me to live my life to the fullest & enjoy the moment. I know he will be my angel getting me down the slopes next season. May you Rest In Peace Jimbo. ❤️  

From Ray McCarthy-Bergeron:
I re-wrote this post many times. One direction was in anger, another in confusion, but I write this in a direction of opportunity.
This time is important.
Today is important.
And while this time feels polarizing, dark and depressing, this time provides opportunity.
Last month, I flew to Vermont unannounced to spend time with friends and family (testing/social distancing considered). In the little time I had, the opportunity to re-see, re-experience and re-connect with my home was vital to my being – where I grew up and with people who I deeply care about. Selfishly, I needed this, much like a battery that requires recharging.
Jim Reda and Ann DeMarle were deeply involved in my growth and curiosity in what it means to be a moral, intellectual, empathetic, responsible human. “Relationship goals” is the most concise I could keep this sentence - though I could write a book on what these two incredible individuals have done and mean to me. While Jim’s physicality deteriorated, their loved continued to grow. I wiggled one last opportunity to document it, to capture it, in the only way my awkward-self could.
If you needed another example in your life, this is what love looks like – even during the darkest, most confusing times.
Thanks Jim for showing me that you can both be a renaissance person and have an amazing relationship. It was an opportunity of a lifetime to know you, work with you, learn from you and be inspired by you.
A lifetime opportunity of love and partnership is my goal.  


From Julie-Anne Damskov:
We lost a wonderful friend yesterday, a huge loss for so many he touched in his own unique and special way. Incredibly smart, witty, funny, generous and so talented in all he did. A kind and gentle soul, genuine friend, wonderful husband and father. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Ann. Rest In Peace dearest Jim.
« The song is ended, but the melody lingers on. »
-Irving Berlin 




Comments

  1. Anne: I have been reading what you wrote about your beloved Jim and am crying as you are in so much pain and sorrow now after losing your best friend and so much more..You were both so lucky to have each other even if it wasn't long enough your memories will be with you for ever. Tegan seems like such a special woman just like her mom is... Sending love to both of you. Martha Mae

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts