A Reprieve, A Rejoicing



Nine months ago my husband Jim was given a diagnosis, Stage 4 colorectal cancer - 2 years plus medical discoveries.

Today the doctor entered the examination room with a wide open grin and a handshake, the tumors continue to shrink exponentially, the prognosis pushed out into the future.

Breathe, I can breathe. Sleep, I may sleep. My mind resettles, there can be more.

Faith, in my husband, in my prayers, in those friends and family who have prayed, in science, in naturopathy, in our children, in humor, in exercise, in dogs, in laughter, in love.

Multiples of unending nights of prayer to my mother, to all mothers, to Maya, perhaps the best way I can even try to express this joy is in Mary's prayer "The Magnificat". Tonight that is what I share. Though I may have been and continue despite my best efforts, to be too proud, conceited, frightened, or much too well fed, despite my failings and faltering attempts to be more, God has always been here,
Μεγαλύνει ἡ ψυχή μου τὸν Κύριον καὶ ἠγαλλίασεν τὸ πνεῦμά μου ἐπὶ τῷ Θεῷ τῷ σωτῆρί μου,
ὅτι ἐπέβλεψεν ἐπὶ τὴν ταπείνωσιν τῆς δούλης αὐτοῦ. ἰδοὺ γὰρ ἀπὸ τοῦ νῦν μακαριοῦσίν με πᾶσαι αἱ γενεαί,
ὅτι ἐποίησέν μοι μεγάλα ὁ δυνατός, καὶ ἅγιον τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ, καὶ τὸ ἔλεος αὐτοῦ εἰς γενεὰς καὶ γενεὰς τοῖς φοβουμένοις αὐτόν.
Ἐποίησεν κράτος ἐν βραχίονι αὐτοῦ, διεσκόρπισεν ὑπερηφάνους διανοίᾳ καρδίας αὐτῶν·
καθεῖλεν δυνάστας ἀπὸ θρόνων καὶ ὕψωσεν ταπεινούς, πεινῶντας ἐνέπλησεν ἀγαθῶν καὶ πλουτοῦντας ἐξαπέστειλεν κενούς.
ἀντελάβετο Ἰσραὴλ παιδὸς αὐτοῦ, μνησθῆναι ἐλέους, καθὼς ἐλάλησεν πρὸς τοὺς πατέρας ἡμῶν τῷ Αβραὰμ καὶ τῷ σπέρματι αὐτοῦ εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα.[7]
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked with favor on his humble servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed,
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear Him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
and has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children for ever.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever.
Amen. Alleluia 



Comments

  1. So, so, so ridiculously grateful for your news. What a blessing that the two of you have each other and that you know, truly know, what a gift your love is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your beautiful post brought tears to my eyes. So very, very happy and encouraged by this good news! Hugs to you both. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why my comment registered as "unknown"! Loved the post... Deb

      Delete
    2. Thanks Deb, it is such wondrful news. I haven't been able to contain my joy!

      Delete
  3. So very very happy for you, for Jim and for your whole family, to hear this terrific news. I have been so inspired by your amazing uplifting optimism and making the most out of every single day! I see it as a model of how we all should live our lives every day, with gratitude and joy! You are a gift. May the good health continue and prevail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vickie! It can be a day-to-day struggle with optimism but overall, gratitude for what we have carries the day. Love you!

      Delete
  4. This is the best news I've heard in a long, long time. I'm so happy for you and Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karma amazing. So deserving. Such wonderful souls. Precious “special” love so many others never experience or understand. We are blessed Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts