The Fields of Gettysburg, Easter Week 2019

Crossing Lake Champlain
Sometimes the best laid plans don't go the way one is hoping and yet one discovers gifts far greater than expected. As folks know Jim and I left for a cross country trip almost two weeks ago. However despite a beautiful start, we never got any further than Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
The National Cemetery at Gettysburg
It was an auspicious place to land and to remain in for the entire Easter Week. So many analogies to be found. I had never been to Gettysburg and the landscape and the sad story of the thousands of Americans who fought each other and died there leaves me still with a deep sorrow for the young lives lost and families torn apart. It seemed especially poignant because of the deep divisions that are still reverberating in our country. A very frightening time indeed.
Looking over the battlefield
Unfortunately Jim and I ended up fighting our own war in Gettysburg — one of the many that cancer survivors take on against the demon cancer. That very first night after being all tucked in, Jim became ill, an unexpected side effect of a chemo treatment. He landed in the hospital kicking cancer's ass as they say and then healing. I was left to be his support team, take care of our three dogs and the campsite. Stressful time. Yet there were many beautiful outcomes. If going off on an adventure is about meeting challenges successfully and learning in the process, then we did accomplish just that. I keep reminding myself that disaster is when the challenges are not met. Adventures are when you win the game.
Battlefield at Gettysburg
As in any good Hero's Journey, Jim and I found companions who came to our side. Our friend Kelly was instrumental at advising me, as were the medical team at the Gettysburg hospital, WellSpan, who had the skills and kindness when we needed them. Jim's UVM Medical Center nurses sent their love in photos that brightened our fatigued souls. Our kids and siblings also gave us emotional support through calls and texts. My two brothers, Bob and Dave, even drove down from differing parts of New York State to help me when I most needed it.
My brothers setting up camp with me
And I discovered how love can give you strength and the courage to do things you would never imagine, and how incredibly strong and resilient my husband is.

Jim was set free from the hospital on Easter Sunday and the metaphor was not lost on me the entire week. I am grateful for prayer because in my darkest, loneliest moments, I never felt abandoned as I had God and Mary besides me in my fear to hold on tightly to.
Walk to the National Cemetery, Gettysburg
We decided to head home and get our bearings for the time being. Cross country can wait a bit. Jim is once again his joyful, creative self planning his next big project. And I for one am grateful for so much and to so many.
Jim and Addie

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts